vrijdag 14 september 2007

a plunge

What have I gotten myself into?

Apparently, I signed up for a half-year project in which I'm supposed to make a so-called web 2.0 website. For a real company. The thing is, I don't know anything about web 2.0. Or making websites for that matter. Alright, I do know a little HTML and CSS and I did build a website once before, but that's about it, really. I don't know anything about the technologies behind the shifting aim of the next generation internet, that is web 2.0.

Due to this interesting-sounding project which involves making some sort of community website for lectureres and attenders I now find myself in a team with people who seem to know all about it. For the next twenty weeks I will be surrounded by these four whizz kids who are able to keep forming coherent-sounding sentences with vague terms like API, Eclipse, Twitter, Flex and Ruby.

So what the hell is that guy doing there, you ask? Well, there is a simple anwer to that. I'm eager, or better yet, forcing myself to take a look at another 'continent' in the world of multimedia (since that's what I study). I want to find out what my interests in the field are. However, for this thing I notice that I can't help asking myself that question from time to time:

what have I gotten myself into?

3 opmerkingen:

cmd.arno zei

The first minor that I did "the next web" I was also a big noob in the web 2.0 scene. You will see in the end of the minor you are also a wizz kid ;)

From the sideline web 2.0 sounds very big and difficult to understand but it really isn't. You know the different techniques of web 2.0 (ajax, flex). You know more about the web 2.0 philosophy (communities, the long tail). There is really not much more than that.

And don't be afraid to ask everyone loves to show his "wizz kid" knowledge to you ;)

Lykle zei

Hi Zjeraar, how does it feel now? Are you getting the hang of it?

Gerben zei

I'm also curious if the plunge didn't take you under. Any news from the newbie perspective, or are you already an expert on Web2.0?